simplicity

simplicity
“Possessions, outward success, publicity, luxury - to me these have always been contemptible. I believe that a simple and unassuming manner of life is best for everyone, best for both the body and the mind.”
Albert Einstein

Monday 27 January 2014

The ability to say NO

From a young age all we want to do is experience the world, to meet new people and to do new things. To adventure and create new opportunities. This is a great mindset to have at a young age, and as we grow. I couldn't imagine being any other way.

As we get older we learn about responsibilities and what we want to achieve in life, sometime the crazy opportunities do come to an end and the ability to drop an excess of money become more of a concern. All of a sudden we are forced to grow up and our priorities change. Commitments to friends and family fill up as do the weekends and time off. Time to ones self is valued more.

Having minimal shoes, clothes, gadgets and assets are key parts in living a more minimal lifestyle. But also being more minimal with commitments that you make and asking yourself do I really need to do this? help. Now I have always been very social and that will never change but I am now learning the importance of saying NO.

I'm not saying stay at home and be boring or not help your friend through a hard time, maybe just asses how your time is spent, just the same as you would assess the assets or expenditures in your life remember you come first!

If you do politely say no to an invite it's not the end of the world, any true friend should realise this, even explain why you are saying no. They might take on some of your advice.

I found I was spending time on things that didn't really matter, I was spending too much money doing it and neglecting important things I had to do. From the amounts of texts I would get to having no time to myself on the weekend to relax.

Now I live a more minimal but wholesome social life, filling it with outdoors, friends and family. My budget is loving it! I'm more refreshed and less burnt out and get to enjoy the things that matter.

Stay simple.

Also check out my new Instagram page for visual ideas and projects - search cullthecrap. 

1 comment:

  1. I love how much positive change came about when I started being more mindful of my time. The best thing is that I now have so much time to work on things I love :-)

    ReplyDelete