simplicity

simplicity
“Possessions, outward success, publicity, luxury - to me these have always been contemptible. I believe that a simple and unassuming manner of life is best for everyone, best for both the body and the mind.”
Albert Einstein

Sunday 12 January 2014

Do It Yourself

When I set myself the challenge of not to buy anything new for a year I had to think about what makes me happy and what I enjoy doing. If I was a shopaholic that bought new dresses and shoes every week I was going to have a bad time. If I needed to buy new things for my business it wasn't going to work out. The only thing I could think of that would get difficult in the next year was my hobbies. I love gardening and projects. So rather than buying new products for the house and home I would need to start on a DIY mission. I had to get back to basics and start making some things myself.

Check out my DIY veggie patch. I just grabbed some wooden pallets that were free to good homes in an industrial area close by, some styrofoam boxes from friends that where on light and easy (you would also get these from your local grocer) and added some hessian material that was laying around. (You can pick this up from a material and crafts store). It came together quite nicely. If you want to give it a go just remember to poke drainage holes in the bottom between the slats in the pallets. My garden beds are not Gardening Australia Magazine worthy but it felt good using second hand and recycled products at no cost to make something that will grow food I can eat and minimalise what I buy in the weekly shop.






Stay Simple 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Holly,

    Gardening Australia were always publishing simple ideas that people had, like putting an old bird cage (without its base) over plants that were being nibbled by possums and other pesky creatures. There's nothing like picking your own little tomatoes and lettuce leaves every day to pout into your lunch or dinner.

    ReplyDelete