simplicity

simplicity
“Possessions, outward success, publicity, luxury - to me these have always been contemptible. I believe that a simple and unassuming manner of life is best for everyone, best for both the body and the mind.”
Albert Einstein

Wednesday 30 April 2014

Meat free May

Did you know? That 14.5% of Greenhouse Gases emitted each year are caused from meat production and over fishing has also led to decrease in fish stocks. Experts estimate that many species are close to extinction as a result of the meat industry. Sustainability wise this is not a good thing. Much more needs to be done to ensure our future resources are sustainable. 

Population is also on the rise and it is predicted that by 2050 there will be 9 billion people on Earth. It doesn’t mean that we are doomed, if we start making a conscious effort to eat meat free or even less meat we can make a difference.

Now it’s one thing to eat meat free, but it’s another to actually look what is contained in the foods that you eat that are not plainly seen as meat. For example gelatine is an animal derived product.  Even some alcoholic products are not vego friendly. Did you know that most make up items contain animal products? Bit gross hey? Check and see what your products contain. Also see what vegan makeup I have been using – why my skin feels so awesome!

So this May I’m going Meat Free. It’s going to be hard as I do love a good Big Mac or chicken stir-fry but I think I can do it. There are tons of recipes out there these days and will post some good ones as the weeks pass. Planning my shopping list  each week is going to be important now and I will need to be more organised with my meals. I think leftovers will be my saviour too!

Benefits of being a vegetarian
  • You are reducing the amount of greenhouse gases, energy and pollution the meat industry creates.
  • You are saving the space, resources and man power it is taken to grow the food that is needed to feed the animals we eat.
  • Less water is being used to both water the crops and fill the animals we are eating.
  • You are culling less of the fish population.
  • You may experience less heath issues (heart disease) as a result of less meat consumption.
  • You know what is in the food you eat, after all you are what you eat. 
  • Finally, you are not killing little cows, lambs, pigs and fish who are not able to put up a fight for themselves.

Follow me on instagram and see how I go. I will update with any great meals I make (Maybe not with the ones that don’t go so well).

And remember to subscribe.

Stay Simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment